Test facility for gun development and high gradient research. With contributions from the High Power Microwave Group.
Accelerator Structure Test Area (ASTA)
The facility includes:
- Two X-band 50 MW klystrons that can be combined.
- A variable length pulse compressor that can produce up to 500 MW.
- The most agile RF system suitable for fast turn around of experiments.
- One 40 MW S-band klystron
- IR and UV short pulse lasers
Programs intended for this facility:
- Scan the material for RF accelerator structures using the single cell accelerator structure technology as vehicle for these studies.
- Test Dielectric Accelerator structures in collaboration with ANL
- Test highly damped RF structures in collaboration with CERN and KEK
- Test superconducting materials and structures
- Photo cathode RF gun development
This facility is used for testing:
- Superconducting materials (we tested various samples of niobium and magnesium diboride)
- Single cell accelerator structures ( We tested our reusable universal couplers and our reference traveling wave accelerator structure)
- Cathode quantum efficiency
- Cathode laser cleaning